How to Maintain Your Privacy While Using Reddit: 8 Tips
Reddit is primarily a discussion forum where people can talk about anything. Over time, it has been regarded as an interactive place for all users. From news to debates, cooking, and fashion, Reddit has got you covered.
Despite all this, many people are concerned about their privacy on the platform. However, you can increase security and maintain maximum account privacy with a few simple actions. Let’s learn how to maintain your privacy while using Reddit.
1. Create a Secure Password
The first tip for maintaining your privacy on Reddit is to create a secure password. Your password should be strong enough to act as a barrier against unexpected breaches. A secure password also helps protect your account against phishing attempts.
Creating a strong password that combines numbers, upper and lower case letters, and other characters is recommended to increase its strength. However, you should also be able to remember it, so drop occasional hints within your password.
If you are in the habit of forgetting your passwords, you can use a password manager that keeps track and helps you remember them.
2. Use Two-Factor Authentication
After securing your account with a strong password, you should add an extra layer of security to enhance the protection. Two-factor authentication is a protection feature that requests permission from authorized devices/browsers before logging in.
To enable Two-Factor Authentication on your Reddit account:
- Log into your Reddit account.
- Click the arrow on the top of your screen next to the username to open a drop-down menu and select User Settings.
- Navigate to the Safety and Privacy tab.
- Scroll down until you see Two-Factor Authentication. You might need to reset your password if you signed up to Reddit using Google or Apple ID.
- Reset your password on a verified device.
- Use an authenticator app to scan the barcode to complete the setup.
A six-digit code will be requested at every login attempt.
3. Change Your Chat and Message Settings
Reddit is an app that lets you socialize, debate with, and connect with the world. On such a platform, you might receive messages from people with whom you might not want to connect. You can change this by updating your chat settings.
- Open the Chats and Messaging section on the site.
- Change the Who can send you private messages and Who can send you chat requests settings. Users have the option to make themselves accessible to everyone or nobody.
- Click Nobody on both menus if you want your account to be private, with only the ability to comment and vote on different posts.
This feature helps users to protect themselves against spam and cyberbullying attempts on Reddit.
4. Personalize Your Reddit Outbound Link Settings
Like other apps, Reddit also keeps a record of the links you click on the site. The platform uses this information to help marketers target their potential audience. Clicking links also helps Reddit match your interests and show you the content that you frequently interact with.
Unfortunately, this comes at the cost of privacy. You can change these settings for outbound links to maintain activity privacy on your Reddit account.
- Open the User Settings and navigate to the Safety and Privacy tab.
- Toggle the Personalize all of Reddit based on the outbound links you click on to turn it off.
We also recommend avoiding any outbound links posted by people you don’t know.
5. Block Users Who Seem Suspicious
When you scroll Reddit, do you find an account that seems offensive and inappropriate? If so, blocking is a great way to keep your account privacy intact.
Here’s how to block people on Reddit:
- Search or click the username that you wish to block. A username on Reddit usually begins with u/.
- Click More Options below Chat.
- Select Block User and confirm.
The account will be blocked, and both of you will not see each other’s posts and messages unless you unblock that account.
6. Use a Virtual Private Network
Users who do not wish to disclose their location to Reddit can access the account using a VPN. Also known as a Virtual Private Network, it can hide your identity by creating encryption between the network and your device.
You can use a VPN on your PC and mobile devices. You will start seeing users and groups from the selected location on Reddit. With the help of a VPN, you can hide your identity from online marketers as well.
Remember that VPN is not to protect your device from viruses and malware. You still need to have a strong password and authenticate your account for maximum privacy.
7. Revoke Third-Party Access
Reddit uses third-party apps to customize your user experience. Your profile is exposed to third parties depending on how much access you have allowed. Follow the steps below to revoke third-party access and increase your account privacy.
- Open User Settings.
- Click on Safety and Privacy.
- Scroll down until you see Manage Third Party App Authorization. You will see several apps and web browsers.
- Click Revoke Access at the end of the list.
8. Change Your Content Visibility Settings
If you do not want to make your content visible to unknown users, change your content visibility. This feature hides your latest searches and prevents your posts from appearing to the public.
Only your comments and likes are available to the public with these settings. These steps will help you add privacy to your content.
- From User Settings, click Profile.
- Scroll down until you see Content Visibility.
- Toggle the tab to turn it off.
After this, your posts will not be visible in r/all, and the username won’t be visible under /users.
Have a Secure and Sound Experience on Reddit
Reddit is ranked as one of the top apps for users looking to discuss different topics and share their favorite stuff online.
At the same time, privacy can be a considerable concern for some users. You can reduce your visibility by making changes to your content privacy and managing third-party apps. Apart from this, you can also use a VPN on your PC or mobile to hide your location and browse without disclosing your identity and location on the internet.
via MUO – Feed https://ift.tt/nzA23Se
September 23, 2022 at 12:05PM