- A young woman called Areline Martínez was reportedly shot and killed when a TikTok went wrong.
- According to several news outlets, 20-year-old Martínez was staging a kidnapping with several friends when a gun was fired.
- Two of the men surrounding Martínez reportedly fled the scene afterwards.
- The tragic accident happened in Chihuahua, Mexico, where police are investigating.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Areline Martínez, 20, was staging a kidnapping with several friends when one of the fake abductors shot her in the head, the outlet reported.
The incident happened on Friday, October 2 in Chihuahua, Mexico, where police are investigating.
Before the tragedy, Martínez had posted several other videos to her TikTok, where a group of men have blindfolded her and tied her hands and feet. Some of the men are pointing guns at her head. These videos have now been removed from TikTok but have recirculated on social media.
A post shared by 𝔄𝔯𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔢 𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔢𝔷🤑 (@are.ma13) on Sep 27, 2020 at 3:47pm PDT
The state attorney general, César Augusto Peniche Espejel said one of the theories is that one of the men thought the .45-caliber pistol was out of ammunition and so shot at Martínez’s head, reported Proceso.
“If anyone has a criminal responsibility, he will have to answer,” he added. “There are several facts to investigate: the unfortunate death of the young woman and the origin of that weapon and how it came to her hands.”
Two of the men surrounding Martínez reportedly fled the scene afterwards in a Jeep Cherokee, but have been identified by authorities.
Martínez was buried on Monday, survived by her 1-year-old son. Her Instagram page, which has 10,000 followers, has been flooded with comments telling her to “rest in peace.”
“I’m so sorry, this is horrible and it breaks my heart that your new baby is gonna have to grow without you,” one reads. “Rest easy and have an amazing time up there.”
A post shared by 𝔄𝔯𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔫𝔢 𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔢𝔷🤑 (@are.ma13) on Apr 4, 2020 at 9:08pm PDT
Insider has reached out to TikTok for comment.